Want a Samsung Gear S3 smartwatch? Sales start in Thailand Dec. 7

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Want a Samsung Gear S3 smartwatch? Sales start in Thailand Dec. 7

Post by Gaybutton »

For those who love the latest high tech gadgets, starting December 7 the Samsung Gear S3 smartwatch goes on sale in Thailand for 12,900 baht (about US$ 370).

If you don't know what it is or what it features, see: http://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/gear-s3/

Samsung Gear S3 available in Thailand from December 7

November 28, 2016 13:44
By The Nation

Thai Samsung Electronics will officially distribute Gear S3, its latest smartwatch in the Gear series, from December 7, it announced Monday.

Samsung Electronics said in its press statement that the new smartphone, which will retail for Bt12,900, comes with a number of advanced features such as IP68 standards for dust and water resistance, the Corning Gorilla Glass SR+ scratch resistant glass, and a 16 million-color AMOLED Display.

It said the display comes with Always On technology, which resembles traditional wristwatch by continuously displaying current time.

The Gear S3 is compatible with 22mm watch bands so consumers can easily personalize their watch to match any outfit or special occasion, the statement added.

With a battery that lasts up to four days on a single charge as well as a microphone and an on-board speaker, users can enjoy their music and make calls whenever they wish. A preinstalled memo/reminder app and GPS should also significantly benefit users who love to keep themselves fit with outdoor workouts.

It also has 4 GB of internal memory for music and application storage.

Samsung said the Gear S3 is certified under a strict United States Military Standard so it can withstand an extreme temperature range from -50 to 60C.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/St ... T/30300987
Gaybutton

Re: Want a Samsung Gear S3 smartwatch? Sales start in Thailand Dec. 7

Post by Gaybutton »

I doubt I would prefer this to my smartphone, but something to think about: It's a lot harder to lose a wristwatch than it is to lose a smartphone and it's a lot harder for thieves and pickpockets to make off with a wristwatch.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Gaybutton wrote:I doubt I would prefer this to my smartphone,
Isn't the general idea to use these two in combination? The watch by itself probably isn't very useful.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Alex wrote:Isn't the general idea to use these two in combination?
What makes you think so? If you're carrying a smartphone, what do you need with the watch?

In any case, I've been doing just fine with the smartphone. Other than to avoid loss or theft of the smartphone, I can't think of a good reason to spend the better part of US $400 to buy a smartwatch - at least until smartwatches can leave smartphones in the dust - becoming as useless as a Sony Betamax is today.

It doesn't escape my notice that Samsung plans to release it in Thailand (I don't know where else) 2 weeks before Christmas. Maybe they're hoping to make a bundle in Christmas sales.

My guess is a year from now the smartwatch will have plenty of competition and the prices will go way down.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

What does this have to do with stool softeners :?:
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Gaybutton wrote:
Alex wrote:Isn't the general idea to use these two in combination?
What makes you think so? If you're carrying a smartphone, what do you need with the watch?
Alex is right, the concept is you pair your smart watch with your smartphone. Makes little sense to have a standalone smart watch.

http://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/gear-s3/
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Up2u wrote:Alex is right, the concept is you pair your smart watch with your smartphone. Makes little sense to have a standalone smart watch.
Then what am I missing or just not understanding? Their ad says, "It's also built for you to go days without needing your phone or to recharge." It also says, "You don't need your phone with you. The Gear S3 has a built-in speaker that lets you make or take calls right away on the device."

What's the part where the smartphone comes in?
Alex

Post by Alex »

I'd say it depends on the apps you use, among other things. For the basics, what they write ("go days without needing your phone") might actually be true. I guess we'll have to wait for some real-life reports to see how well that works.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Gaybutton wrote:What's the part where the smartphone comes in?
A friend has the Gear S2 which has a similar technology. The S3 doesn't have a SIM card but supports esim (programmable sim) so in theory you could send and receive calls if you have a separate plan. I don't know of any Thai carrier that will support this technology yet, and why would you want to pay for two plans (phone and watch). My friend loves his S2 as he get notifications, emails, etc. without taking his phone out of his pocket. If you don't marry the watch and phone(Bluetooth) you will have two separate devices.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

Old news, I had one years ago.