Police Bust Sunee Camel Jockeys

Anything and everything about Thailand
Undaunted

Re: Police Bust Sunee Camel Jockeys

Post by Undaunted »

Gaybutton wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:51 pm I don't know much of anything about motorbikes. What is meant by a "big bike"? That's what this seems to be all about.
Big bikes I believe are those with engines 400cc and above..These are the bikes the jockeys favor.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Jun

Post by Jun »

1 Checking people have a motorcycle license before renting them a bike ought to be standard for ALL customers.

2 Restricting motorcycle hire to small scooters with 125cc engines and quiet exhausts would be a good idea. Kind of goes against my principles of freedom of choice, but it's possibly better for society. There are worse restrictions on freedom.

3 If they want to tackle the motorcycle death rate, that must to not just include tourists. How about:
(i) Enforcing the wearing of helmets properly. Have a proper fine for everyone either not wearing a helmet, or wearing one without the strap done up, which is just as bad.
(ii) Crack down on poor driving. Divert the police from bribe collecting roadblocks to actually going after poor driving.

Actually, I couldn't give a monkeys about the death rate for camel jockeys, as long as they are not injuring or killing innocent bystanders.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:00 pm 1 Checking people have a motorcycle license before renting them a bike ought to be standard for ALL customers.
I agree. What's the point without that being the standard? People renting motorbikes, including the Sunee Plaza area motorbike maniacs, will just rent smaller motorbikes and continue doing the same thing.

Another item for my "I Don't Get It" list.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:20 am
Jun wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:00 pm 1 Checking people have a motorcycle license before renting them a bike ought to be standard for ALL customers.
I agree. What's the point without that being the standard? People renting motorbikes, including the Sunee Plaza area motorbike maniacs, will just rent smaller motorbikes and continue doing the same thing.

Another item for my "I Don't Get It" list.
I can’t argue with this however, to make it effective I would put the onus on the rental shop to keep a copy of the renters motorcycle license. If they fail to do so impose a meaningful fine such as 10,000 baht on the shop.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:11 am If they fail to do so impose a meaningful fine such as 10,000 baht on the shop.
I'd like to see it a lot more meaningful than that and meaningfully enforced too - not the usual crapola when things are enforced for a few weeks and then fizzle out. I'm not holding my breath for that to actually happen, but I wish it would.

There is no way - no way - the businesses that rent to the Sunee Plaza idiots are not well aware of what these people do on those motorbikes. I blame them just as much for facilitating and enabling it.

It should be you don't have a license, you don't get to rent. But "should" is my favorite word in Thailand.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

I don't imagine Madam Sunee would want too harsh of penalties levied on her future client base, knowing that, once Sunee Plaza completes its transition the "Camel Plaza" there will be no one left to complain.
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Dodger wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:49 am once Sunee Plaza completes its transition the "Camel Plaza"
That should read...
“Once Sunee Plaza completes its transition the “Saudi Plaza”
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

gerefan wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:33 am That should read...
“Once Sunee Plaza completes its transition the “Saudi Plaza”
Regarding the motorbike maniacs, actually most of them come from Kuwait. It's not their nationality, race, religion, or ethnicity that I complain about. None of that has anything to do with it. It's their behavior - no matter where they come from or their ethnicity.