Arab Motorcycle Scum Return

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Re: Arab Motorcycle Scum Return

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:06 pm No objection from me, but I have suggested what I think is an easier and more practical solution - speed bumps. Enough of them and big enough that motorbikes can't just zoom over them, but still small enough that cars can go over them. And that wouldn't even be particularly expensive.
I don't know why, since this problem has gone on for years, speed bumps haven't even been tried.
They have speed bumps on some of the roads in the area. Certainly on the Nice Boys street.

There is, as far as I know, no such thing as a speed bump that cars can go over, but motorcycles can't. With the right skill level, motorcycles can get over all sorts of obstacles. If they apply the throttle just as the front wheel is approaching the bump, it pitches the motorcycle up and lessens the impact.
Good luck trying to do the same in a Toyota Yaris.
Also, hired vehicles usually go over such things faster than owner driven vehicles.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:01 pm They have speed bumps on some of the roads in the area.

There is, as far as I know, no such thing as a speed bump that cars can go over, but motorcycles can't.
Not enough and not big enough.

I didn't say speed bumps motorbikes can't go over. I'm talking about speed bumps large enough and and enough of them that would force them to go very slowly. It hasn't even been tried, but I think it ought to be.

But don't worry. I don't believe no one ever thought of that before, so it's just something else they're not going to do . . .
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

It has finally happened - a group of Thais got into a fight with some of the motorbike maniacs, shown as part of today's report - August 11 - in "Headline News" (see: viewtopic.php?p=111154&sid=e6b057a49eb4 ... 72#p111154 - beginning at 3 minutes, 33 seconds into the report)

Apparently some Kuwaitis on a motorbike crashed into Thais on a motorbike. Rather than even trying to work anything out, the Kuwaitis fled into their throngs of maniacs. But the Thais tracked them down, demanded they pay for the damage, the Kuwaitis refused, and a fight resulted.

The Thais went to the police, explained what happened, told the police how much they want in compensation, and the police agreed it was a reasonable amount.

At the time of this post the police have not yet tracked down and spoken to the involved Kuwaitis. I will, or course, post further information once it becomes available.

In an earlier post I predicted that if an accident happens, if they caused it, instead of owning up to it, the motorbike maniacs would try to flee. What a surprise! That seems to be exactly what happened.

Does anyone expect in the end the Thais will be compensated?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Some further information is now in Adam Judd's video, which is in the "Headline News" topic, along with other news items.

See: viewtopic.php?p=111157#p111157 - beginning at 2 minutes, 31 seconds
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

About two weeks to go before the motorbike maniacs return to Kuwait. It is virtually a given they'll be back next year trying to do the same thing. Now the powers-that-be will have the better part of a year to plan how to prevent this fiasco from happening again.

As for finally deploying a large number of police just a couple days ago, my first question is why didn't they do that right from the start? They knew what was about to happen. We all knew because it's been going on for years. My second question is was that just a one night deployment or will the police be out there until they're gone. Obviously if it was just a one night deployment, they'll be right back at it. The article says some of the motorbike maniacs were stopped and fined. Does anyone actually believe they give a damn about a 1000 or 2000 baht fine and that's going to stop them?

Ok, folks - what do you think? Will they successfully prevent it from happening again or will it be the same thing, or even worse, when they return next year?

Also, why in hell does the media keep referring to them as "tourists"? The only thing they tour is a couple of sois around Sunee Plaza. I would not refer to them as tourists. I would refer to them as _________ (fill in the blank)

"It's deja vu all over again."
- Yogi Berra

Pattaya police nab defiant Arab road racers, warn motorbike rentals to be strict

by THE NATION

August 14, 2023

Notorious Arab motorbike riders were forced to cancel their road-racing plans after some 200 policemen and Interior Ministry officials were deployed to keep law and order on Pattaya roads late on Saturday night.

Officers from Pattaya Police Station and officials from Chonburi provincial administration were deployed to check the roads and sois where local residents have complained about road racing and the blocking of traffic by Arab youngsters, mostly tourists from Kuwait. Interior Ministry officials also joined the operation.

Most of the riders parked their motorbikes on the roadside as soon as they saw the officials approaching.

Some, however, were defiant and continued riding their bikes, only to be stopped and fined for violating traffic laws.

The officials did not arrest those who had parked their bikes, but they were interrogated and found to be mostly Kuwaiti teenagers.

Police said the interrogation of some 200 youngsters continued into the early hours of Sunday.

Last week, Pattaya police held a meeting with other agencies concerned to discuss measures to prevent road racing, which has become popular among Arab tourists but is making life difficult for local people.

Motorbike rental companies have been warned to strictly check the identification particulars of tourists and their driving licences before renting out bikes.

Story and photos: https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand ... l/40030179
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:09 am ......It is virtually a given they'll be back next year trying to do the same thing. Now the powers-that-be will have the better part of a year to plan how to prevent this fiasco from happening again.
That gives the farang who still live in the area plenty of time to move out - because honestly, there probably isn't going to be any meaningful solution happening next year either... :(
Jun

Post by Jun »

What they need here is a permanent installation of speed cameras, high resolution surveillance cameras and designated no motorcycle parking areas.
Also, a 20 km/h speed limit.

Then when the police do move in, they will have evidence to support arrests and confiscation of motorcycles.

I gather the law allows jail sentences for road racing, so use that option.

Also, instead of taking the motorcycles back to the hire shops in return for bribes, if the current renter doesn't come forward, have them destroyed. The motorcycle businesses will quickly stop hiring to the scum. They could even warn the hire companies before enacting this policy, so the supply of motorcycles to the scum will dry up.

This will not happen, as the police will always take the bribes.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:43 pm when the police do move in
Crew: "What never?"
Captain Corcoran: "No never"
Crew: "What never?"
Captain Corcoran: "Well, hardly ever"
- Gilbert and Sullivan, 'HMS Pinafore'
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

There is an upscale to the many Arabs arriving in Pattaya and which is the establishments in that area are doing a good business.
bkkguy

Post by bkkguy »

Gaybutton wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:09 amNow the powers-that-be will have the better part of a year to plan how to prevent this fiasco from happening again.
Ok, folks - what do you think? Will they successfully prevent it from happening again or will it be the same thing, or even worse, when they return next year?
How long have you been living in Thailand? how many issues can you, or anyone else who posts here, think of where planning by the "powers-that-be" has had any effect? PM2.5 pollution? traffic in Bangkok or Pattaya? drought and rain and rice farming in Isaan? corruption?

Gaybutton wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:09 am Also, why in hell does the media keep referring to them as "tourists"? The only thing they tour is a couple of sois around Sunee Plaza. I would not refer to them as tourists. I would refer to them as _________ (fill in the blank)
I would not have to think very hard to generate a long list of US/UK/Europe/Aus visitors where also the "only thing they tour is a couple of sois around Sunee Plaza", but I suppose the blank there is just "sex tourist"

Gaybutton wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:09 am "It's deja vu all over again."
- Yogi Berra
I suppose I just spent too much time reading Bernard Trink in the Bangkok Post - it is just "TIT"
I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!