Advice for People Over 50 Wanting to Retire in Thailand

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Re: Advice for People Over 50 Wanting to Retire in Thailand

Post by Jun »

For banking & share trading, I considered both Hong Kong and Singapore, because of the favourable tax regimes & good governance records in both countries.
Then I decided to go for Singapore as it's not subject to increasing control from Beijing. Well, not yet.

I think US citizens need to jump over higher hurdles as the banks are wary of all the US legislation. For the rest of us, it seems easy enough.
Jogger

Post by Jogger »

It is better to live rich than to die rich:

Samuel Johnson.
werner99

Post by werner99 »

I am considering retiring to Bangkok, or at least spending a couple months of each year there.

Thanks for the interesting discussion.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Jogger wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:39 am It is better to live rich than to die rich: Samuel Johnson.
That is an enlightened comment, but running out of money would still be a major problem.
Samuel Johnson probably didn't have to think about minimum income requirements for visas or expensive medical treatment.

Also, back here in the UK, the local newspapers carried a story about some 80 year old local guy with medical issues trying to raise £50k to get back to the UK. At the very minimum, it is wise to think about finances just enough to avoid that. And to enjoy some of the fine recreational activities that can be had in Thailand.
werner99

Post by werner99 »

I just re-read this discussion, as I continue to debate whether or not to retire and whether or not to retire in Thailand.

As for now, I think that I will continue to work as long as I can and NOT retire in Thailand, but will try to visit the country as much as possible.

This forum has so many interesting and useful discussions, thanks to all the members.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

I'm coming up on my first year anniversary of being retired in Thailand and couldn't be happier with my decision... :D

I really do miss Sweet Baby Ray's Barbecue Sauce, Lou Malnati's Pizza and a good corn fed, USDA Omaha steak, but, have learned to live without these luxury's, all in exchange for the freedom I have to enjoy my life as a gay man the way it should be enjoyed.

There are always going to be changes that occur that people aren't thrilled with (welcome to Planet Earth), but rarely do I come across a farang who regrets their decision to have retired here. Finding happiness and fulfillment doesn't rely on everything being perfect around me. It has a lot to do with my acceptance of the things I don't necessarily like, and remaining focused on the things I do like.
traveller123

Post by traveller123 »

Dodger wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:18 pm

There are always going to be changes that occur that people aren't thrilled with (welcome to Planet Earth), but rarely do I come across a farang who regrets their decision to have retired here. Finding happiness and fulfillment doesn't rely on everything being perfect around me. It has a lot to do with my acceptance of the things I don't necessarily like, and remaining focused on the things I do like.
IMO there are a couple of things that have a major impact on a happy retirement in Thailand:
Having the right partner - I know sometimes I don't appreciate the effort he puts in to making me happy.
Always remember we are guests in this country and accept the differences to our own countries. Thais are a proud people and don't want to hear whinging Farangs complaining about their country.
werner99

Post by werner99 »

Dodger wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:18 pm
Finding happiness and fulfillment doesn't rely on everything being perfect around me. It has a lot to do with my acceptance of the things I don't necessarily like, and remaining focused on the things I do like.
This is sound advice!

And thanks for your many interesting posts.